City Light, Water & Cable of Paragould, Arkansas
1901 Jones Rd
phone (870) 239-7700
The Story of Paragould Light Water and Cable, the municipally owned utility of Paragould, Arkansas is more than a story of wires, transformers, pipes, and pumps. It is a story of people, people with civic pride, people with civic ambition, and people with persistence. It is a story of progress. It is a story that continues to be written as Paragould continues to grow. Paragould's public utilities have a history dating back to 1891. Electric generators installed in 1938 by City Light and Power are still fired up when needed to help keep Paragould electric rates among the lowest in the United States. In 1966 Paragould began purchasing power from Southwestern Power Administration (SWPA). SWPA markets in a six-state area the hydroelectric power generated at federal dams in its region. In 1984, City Light and Power merged with Paragould Water Works forming City Light and Water. Meter reading had been combined in 1977 and computerized billing was implemented in 1980. The construction of a 13 Mega-watt natural gas turbine plant was completed in August 1990 at a cost of over eight million dollars. The generators provide an alternative power supply when loads are reaching extreme levels. The current Paragould Light Water and Cable Service Center was completed in 1991, at 1901 Jones Road, which allowed all the utility services to be placed in one central location. The Cable division of Paragould Light Water and Cable came into existence in 1991, hooking up their first customer in...
Number of employees:5-9